Monday 6 October 2014

OUGD603 / Extended Practice: Meat me at Alberts.

OUGD603.
EXTENDED PRACTICE.
Meat me at Albert's.


Meet me at Albert's, a concept for a butchers I came up with, was purely a brief born from the want of wanting to apply branding in a way that would benefit society. Since starting my research for the COP 3 module, I have found that what I have learnt so far has, in fact, influenced the choices and design projects I am planning to complete this year. I have found that branding can be looked at in a negative way within the current 21st century consumer culture and so I wanted to take on a project that used the creation of a brand to produce positivity and give back to the society. 

I wanted to use the brand of a butchers to help enforce a sense of community, and moreso increase the size of one that already existed. Butcher's are known locally by their regulars through a relationship of trust and dependance. Many people visit their local butchers, not only due to the fact that its convenient, often better value in terms of quality to supermarkets, but they come for the Butcher. 'Meat me at Alberts' is a butchers brand that focuses' predominantly on the use of the butcher as the brand, bringing people in from further afield to be part of a community. A community that is entertained, valued and relied upon by Andrew. 

I chose Saltaire as a location, as it has a growing community in which tourists travel into to visit monuments such as the canal, the gallery and salts mill. However it doesn't currently have as big a following as small towns such as Hebden bridge in which people will travel in weekly to go to the market, go to the famous butchers or the array of independent and dependable stalls in the area. The sense of the community that is alive in Hebden bridge, is one that I wanted to emulate in Saltaire With the help of the butchers brand. 

This brief is also one of my more substantial pitches in which I am planning to put aside 4 weeks for research, development, designing and production. As the butchers will be in a sense a fresh food stall, I would like to create some sort of rustic and appropriate packaking to reflect the roots of the food. Here I have the ability to play with stock and printing processes where I could use hands on processes, to reflect the hands on approach the butcher has to his work. 


TO DO:

- Research into butchers design 
- Research into fresh food / deli packaging
- Research into community based design
- Research into traditional print methods 
- Research into place making (ted talks?)
- How to keep the project economical and on budget for an independent butchers. 


Deliverables (subject to change):

- Logo design.
- Packaging/wrapping for range of food.
- Fridge label cards.
- Sticker design
- business card
- Carrier bag
- Price list mock ups.
- Sign mock ups.
- Uniform mock ups. 
- Van mock up.
- Branding guidelines.






No comments:

Post a Comment