Wednesday 4 March 2015

OUGD603 / Extended Practice - YCN Interflora: Learning to Paper quill.

OUGD603. 
YCN INTERFLORA. 
LEARNING TO PAPER QUILL. 

















Today I wanted to begin experimenting and creating the outline structure for each design ready to begin quilling. Before I began playing with shapes, I created the paper outlines for each designs that would barrier off the sections that needed to be quilled. 

In order to do this I drew up the 3 designs onto black card. i chose black as a background base as the posters I am creating digitally are on a black background, meaning that when it comes to editing the photos of each paper quilling piece in this transition will be easier as the background will be black.

After drawing each design up, I then began cutting up strips of green paper to form the edges of each shape. i picked green as an outline colour as I felt this would match for all the designs. The most consistent colour throughout all three designs will be green, the colour of the flower leaves. After seeing the above designs, I saw that picking a colour for the background that was already highly dense within the design worked really well, for example in the typographic piece joy blue is used heavily through and for the outline. 

Once I had cut the strips of paper, I ran thin layers of glue along the outline and began to stick the strips of paper I had cut along the glue lines, marking and folding them where appropriate. 

However I found that when sticking larger strips of the paper down, the lack of tensions between the edge of the green paper and the black base, caused it to wilt, go wavy and not adhere the straight lines to the shape. I tried to fix this by physically creating tension between the two surfaces but I couldn't get the paper to straighten out. 

Therefore knowing that I could not create the design via paper quilling to the best of my ability, as I was struggling in the begining stages. 

I made the descision to therefore keep the designs that I had been working on, but change the production process. My strongest skill within design is illustration and so I began to think about how I could mimic the style of paperquilling and the repetitive line style. 





I began messing around with a few different flower shapes playing around with repetitive line work, trying to achieve a similar aesthetic to the images of paper craft above. 




I liked how the illustrations were working out and felt that aesthetic wise it was turning out just as well as paper quilling. I continued to create a series of both flower and greenery line illustrations. 






No comments:

Post a Comment