Saturday 21 March 2015

OUGD603 / Extended Practice - D&AD John Lewis: Box development and experimentation.

OUGD603.
D&AD JOHN LEWIS. 
BOX DEVELOPMENT. 

With the inside card design well underway I wanted to work on the box design further so that It was more consistent with the card. Caitlin had originally wanted to do the box design on the outside of the box in black, as she didn't feel the green colour used across the brand was very appropriate and felt that it would make the box, which would look like a gift, quite charity looking. However I had to remind her that we are not able to change the brand and that we must do the best with what we have, as we are making the packaging according to the John Lewis brand. 


After creating the card design shown below, I looked at how we could incorporate the logo (aswell as the John lewis text logo already on the design) into the box design. 










The above design (top image: side view, bottom image: top view) shows the design that we have so far for the box. However I felt that for a department store who is wanting to make home delivery a special experience, the design was a bit too plain. I wanted to make it stand out, and be more noticeable and so I started thinking about how I could make the box more interesting and gift like. 




Firstly as mentioned previously I looked to find a way in which I could incorporate the logo onto the box design. In doing so I thought of the idea of using the stripe motif as a pattern to lay around the bottom of the box was a great way to subtly include the John Lewis logo and make the box aesthetic even more gift like. In particular I was trying to mimic the idea of gift boxes, creating a separation between top and bottom to make it seem as though there is a lid. 








I experimented a but further with the concept of mimicking a gift box by creating the bottom plain, i thought that this design was also successful, and better than the plain box, however It doesn't reflect the brand as much as the previous. 





I then began experiencing with the John Lewis logo instead, and came up with the idea to further improve the gift aesthetic we were pursuing by putting the logo on a gift tag attached to the bow. I felt that this furthered the concept and would increase the emotional response to the packaging as its likeliness to a gift box would also increase.  I tried doing the gift tag idea in two different colour combinations shown above and below in which I payed with silhouette, however it appears the above is the better out of the two as it has much more contrast, and also allows the John Lewis logo to be produced as it is across all other branding, in the signature John Lewis green.






I also tried the gift tag combination on the boxes that incorporate the John Lewis logo stripes and found that these also worked just as well. 







Lastly I experimented with the idea of using the logo, not in a subtle way as shown above through the use of diagonal stripes, but closer to its original form. Using the black green bottom from earlier, I played with increasing and decreasing the size of the logo and its positioning on the side of the box. From the designs I felt the middle worked best as the logo is most alike to the original logo used across the brand. The positioning of the logo on the left box felt off, and the rotation of the logo on the right box wasn't inline with the John Lewis brand. 




I asked Caitlin what she thought of the possible box design ideas that I had come up with, she was a lot more inclined to go towards the most minimal design, however she felt the tag design was really creative and it helped build towards the gift aesthetic we were going for. However she felt designs such as having a striped bottom on the box were perhaps taking the concept a bit too far, and that the most appropriate for the brand would be the simpler design. 

I think the striped bottom box could work really well for the brand as it subtly introduces John Lewis visual logo/icon. for this reason, I will produce designs using the simpler combination, but I will consider taking the design further for my own portfolio, depending on how the box design looks when printed. 


Collaborative box design:





Box design I might take further by myself:




No comments:

Post a Comment