Thursday 14 May 2015

OUGD603 / Extended Practice - PART 2 Design Publication: Design development.

OUGD603
DESIGN PUBLICATION 
DESIGN DEVELOPMENT


I felt that the most simple layout is going to be the most successful across the series. Where the low cost section demands simplicity in its aesthetic, the same simple layout can be made luxurious by adding extra print process details such as foiling. 

I began creating the double page spreads based upon my sketch:







Creating the publication layouts with the previously discussed dimensions which allowed the pages to be a slightly more square version of a5, I created a set of 3 columns and rows across the spreads. I very rarely work with editorial and so working with the rule of thirds allows me to create successful layouts that read well and look aesthetically pleasing. 



I started with the luxury book as this is going to be foiled and will take the most time to produce, and will therefore need printing first. I took my first pieces of information and placed them into the layout inspired by my sketch. 



I have learnt when designing for luxury packaging that restraint in colour is really important, therefore it seemed to make sense that I should change the page colour to black. The photos shown on the right of each double page spread are mostly dominate by black, and so it will appear most luxurious if I match this. 





Taking the appeal of luxury one step further I decided to play with colour further in relation to what I have learned in my research and add foil finishing elements that experiment with a black on black colour scheme. The foil will not only appear clean and well crafted contrasting against the matt black backdrop, it will also add moments of privacy and exclusivity just as luxury packaging should. 




Lastly I experimented with my guides of 3 columns again and I felt that I needed to add a small piece of information that would some up the whole paragraphs of my understanding. Often when researching I take the information and narrow this down until I have a simple statement that reflects the original information. Alike to the composition below I have given every paragraph a simple statement that sums up the information. 





I continued to use the same design/layout applying it to all of the double page spreads. 
I think that the heavy use of black with punches of white and black on black foil details really represents the restraint and simplicity needed within luxury branding and packaging. The full bleed colour photos that will be printed via inkjet on a heavy paper will also add to the luxury by dramatically increasing the quality. 






I also applied the format to text heavy pages such as the contents and introduction for consistency. I aim finding due to the simplicity and format of the layout that it is easy to transfer from page to page. Therefore I think that by changing elements across the spread design such as stock and colours etc, according to the research I have found in my publications that the double page spread composition will be easily transferable across the series. 






Today in the AM I made progress by printing the book. As previously decided I have chosen to print the publication via inkjet, although it is more money and time consuming, ink jet printing gives a much more luxurious finish than laser printing.  I produced the book on a pure white stock, I felt that the stark and crisp contrast of this would allow the book to look well polished, and therefore more expensive. 

I had previously prepared my screens and so for the latter half of the day I foiled the number details onto each page. 

applying the glue:




Finished result from different angles:







Overall im really happy with the way in which the pages have turned out. I think the stock and printing processes work well in the favour of luxury, however there are elements such as the printer quality, leaving marks on the stock that might take away from the design, but working in house sometimes issues such as this cannot be avoided. 


Binding update:
I was previously wanting to do a case/perfect bind as I thought this would be most luxurious. However to do so I need to bind the book with book ram and I don't have enough time to bind the book and collect bookram, to transport it up to Blenheim for foiling, to then go back down to vernon and bind the book with it. 

I considered other avenues such as creating the front and back covers from mount board as I could measure this up and take it down to vernon with me, however I don't think that this will be very luxurious.

I was under the impression that in order for the book to appear the most luxurious out of the set of three that it must appear the thickest, however looking at the binding style i am beginning to realise that craftsmanship is a lot more important and this is a deeply considered component of luxury design, the book needs to look smooth and sleek and this should take priority over its thickness.



Therefor I plan on doing a soft perfect bind instead of hard back using the high quality card stock they have at vernon street for book binding. Unfortunately this means the book wont be anywhere near as thick due to the lack of material such as mount board or grey board, but I think the outcome will look much more refined and polished.   






No comments:

Post a Comment