Saturday 28 February 2015

OUGD603 / Extended practice - YCN Interflora: Deciding a style.

OUGD603.
YCN INTERFLORA. 
DECIDING A STYLE. 

Understanding the audience. 

I previously looked into the style guide used across the Interflora brand to attract customers. The regular demographic consists of middle aged people who have a large disposable income and enjoy spending this on more luxury products. Although the audience will still have to be people with a disposable income, the age range has changed to suit a younger dynamic of 18-26 year olds. Meaning that although the brand values will be kept in place I will need to change the current style to be more suitable for the younger audience. 

The current audience is taken in through how professional the company is in its transactions and interactions, in store, online, on television and printed. However for younger adults such as myself there are different priorities including ease, efficiency, individuality and fun. We might look to Interflora for a special gift that we can give a fun twist to. Through the age of the audience and theme of the campaign (stories) that the gift will be lighthearted and so the seriousness of the current Interflora marketing and brand needs to be toned down and exchanged for something more aesthetically appropriate and pleasing to a younger audience. 

I feel that avoiding photography, and trying to come to with a new visual alternative will take away from the seriousness of Interfloras current branding and provide something new and fresh that will appeal to younger people. I looked into the different media that I could use, and tried to analyse these to understand which would be most appropriate and appealing. 


Digital / animation.




I think animation is going to be a really great way to capture the interests of the younger audience. As found in my research Interflora have often used the platform of video to capture the interests of the consumer. I think that doing a video that plays upon and experiments with illustration/ animation will really help to make contact with the audience who find themselves constantly watching and sharing videos online. 


Illustration.







I think illustration would be a good media to use as it can be customised to appeal to the ages of any audience. Whilst I can create something that appeals to my younger audience I can also create something that is still in tune with the Interflora brand through style and colour, whereas imagery might be harder to manipulate.


Screen print.






Screen printing is another avenue that I could explore and I think that it would appeal to my younger audience, however I don't think it would be viable for the brand at all. Screen printing is very unpredictable and often has natural flaws that make it such a beautiful and organic process. However Interflora is a very elegant brand that prides itself on being well polished and elegant, which screen printing cannot always offer. 


Paper craft.





Paper craft is a cool media that I thought might appeal to and be appropriate for my audience. As well as allowing me to to experiment with a 3d element, mimicking the 3d existence of flowers it also allows me to manipulate that 'photographic' almost real feel, whilst still being bold with colour. 



Paper quilling. 





I think paper quilling will be a great choice for the campaign, not only does it offer something new, fun and opportunistic for playing with elements such as colour, it is also a little bit out there and signals something a little bit more special than the ordinary. I also liked the link between the hand crafted element of paper quilling and the hand craft of flower arranging. Its almost as if the manipulation of paper to create floral arrangements would mirror that of using real flowers to create a composition. 




No comments:

Post a Comment