Sunday 2 November 2014

OUGD603 / Extended Practice - Brrrew Iced tea: Visual research.

OUGD603.
Brrrew Iced tea. 
Visual research. 

Today I did some more visual research online. As a made in Yorkshire / Yorkshire rooted Ice tea, I began to think about the idea of tradition, and how I could incorporate this into my work, like Yorkshire tea, but in a more modern sense. I started looking into traditional typography and how this could be included in my logo. 







I also found a great typography board on pinterest with all sorts of inspiration in terms of traditional typography:



What I felt the logo needed:
- To give a nod to the tradition of tea. 
- A hand crafted feel to communicate the process of making the tea in Yorkshire. 
- An implication that the tea is made for cold brewing not hot. 
- To be bright and refreshing. 

With these four focus points in mind, I came up with 5 different logo ideas:

The first has the largest focus on process and a traditional aestetic, using a block type with a screen printed effect to simply communicate the name 'Brrew'

The second takes the original logo and furthers its ability to communicate the 4 points above. Added is some small illustrations of icecles. I wanted to add quite an obvious indicator to the packaging that the tea was iced. This is a new product intergrating into the U.K market that will be placed alongside hot tea. I don't want people to be confused and assume that it is a hot tea. 

For the third logo, I tried using a completely different typeface inspired by 'Bello'. I thought that a chunky script font such as this would appear colloquial, approachable, welcoming and friendly. I was also inspired by the idea of ice tea, as a cold drink being thirst quenching and refreshing, hence the bursts of droplets. 

next I tried the second typeface again but incorporating one of the previous illustrations of icecles. However I felt that this combination didn't work very well together. 


Of the 4 logo designs I had come up with so far, the first two were definately my favourite, I felt that they were more attractive, appropriate and relative to the idea of a Yorkshire based tea.






No comments:

Post a Comment