Sunday 2 November 2014

OUGD603 / Extended Practice - Brrrew Ice tea: Visual research and development.

OUGD603.
Brrrew Iced tea. 
Visual research. 

I was inspired by the idea of Yorkshire tea using a range of realistic illustrations nodding towards scenic Yorkshire for background work on their packaging. Although I don't picture my project using exactly the same style as this precedent, I feel that relating the product back to its roots, of Yorkshire will give a more honest and authentic portrayal of the brand. Living in Yorkshire Myself, I thought what better way to collect source imagery first hand by going out and taking my own photographs of the sites which I live in. I will then if necessary look for imagery else where. 

On my research visit I went to 3 different locations to take photographs as I had to keep in mind cost and time, and the hours of sunlight in which were appropriate to take photos. 

First location - Shibden valley:


Second location- Denholme / Oxenhope:




















Third location - `Ogden waters:





























I looked at the images I had collected and decided to pick out 4 that I thought were most different from each other for my packaging. Therefore there would be 4 different visuals for the 4 different flavours in the collection. 

Below are the four images chosen for the collection. It doesn't matter so much which image is paired with which flavour as the photographs are not relevant to the flavours, but to the origin of the product. Each photograph / future illustration has a different emphasis on something about Yorkshire. 


Emphasis on trees. 




Emphasis on open water.



Emphasis on rolling hills. 



Emphasis on farm life.

Although currently Brrew has a similar aesthetic possibility to the original Yorkshire tea, I want to try and steer away from this by employing a completely different illustration style. 

Yorkshire tea illustration style:


Highly detailed, realistically coloured, photograph style illustration. 

An idea I had was to create block illustrations in a range of shades of one colour per box (yellow for lemon, pink for raspberry) and also give them the appearance that they have been screen printing. As a product with strong Yorkshire roots, company originating and product made here, I wanted to create an aesthetic that appeared very much hand crafted. 
For this reason, after I have created vector illustrations. I hope to take them into photoshop to try and give them a screen print look-a-like finish. 

In the meantime I went looking for inspirational illustration styles:



This illustration shows how a similar pallet of colours can be used in a variety of ways to create a really interesting and captivating illustrations. It shows the effetiveness of inversion and opacity. These are tools to consider playing with when creating illustrations 

Dieter Braun.




Bill O'neill

This is a great illustration I found online that shows almost exactly, the type of illustrations I was talking about previously. Taking a set of 5/6 colours, of similar tone (earth) and apply these in layers. If I were to apply this style to my work, I would prefer to use all one colour in 5/6 shades, eg. make the sky in this image a lighter shade of orange brown, and the clouds more so. 





Again this illustration has used a small pallet of colours, however in contrasting colours to make the illustration appear dramatic. As the focus of my illustrations are Yorkshire scenes, I want them to appear peaceful, however be brought to life by a combination of shades of one bright colour. 




I had also talked about how I might want to apply a screen print affect to the illustrations in photoshop. I felt that the small imperfections found in screen printing add to the beauty of the process and of a process hand done by man. It is this that I wanted to emphasise in my work, fabricating the idea of a hand printed design and pursuing the aesthetic of a hand crafted product. 
However the above illustration seems as though it has been intentionally designed to look hand rended and has taken the process much further than I would wish to in terms of imperfections. 



The above illustration however has been edited to include subtle editions of the screen printed effect and seems much more appropriate to the subtle nod this design needs towards hand crafted process.















No comments:

Post a Comment